Cindy died at her home in Wallins Creek.
• Residence: Wallins Creek, Harlan County, Kentucky. Cindy was born and raised in Harlan County. She lived there from 1867 until about 1901 and again from about 1946 until her death in 1957.
• 1870 United States Federal Census, John C. Howard household, Harlan County, Kentucky: Cindy was living with her parents. She was listed as Lucinda Howard (age 3).
• 1880 United States Federal Census, J. C. Howard household, Harlan County, Kentucky 778: Cindy was living with her parents. She was listed as Lucinda Howard, daughter, age 13, born in Kentucky.
• Photo: Cindy, ca. 1885, Harlan County, Kentucky. Lucinda Howard Hopkins. This photo was probably taken about the time that she and Jim were married.
• 1900 United States Federal Census, James Hopkins household, Harlan County, Kentucky 164: Jim, Cindy and their children, John, Henry, Lige, Elmer, Lum & Doc were living in Wallins Creek along with Cindy's mother, Mary Howard. Cindy was listed as Sindie Hopkins (wife, age 33, born Feb 1867).
• 1910 United States Federal Census, James A. Hopkins household, Rockcastle County, Kentucky 170: Jim, Cindy and their children, Lige, Elmer, Lum, Berry, Doc, Grant & Lula were living near Brodhead. Cindy was listed as Loucinda Hopkins (wife, age 40).
• 1920 United States Federal Census, James A. Hopkins household, Rockcastle County, Kentucky 1083: Cindy was living on Boones Road with Jim and their children Lum, Berry, Doc, Grant, Lula and Henry and Henry's wife, Bess. Cindy was listed as Lucindie Hopkins, wife, age 49, born in Kentucky.
• 1930 United States Federal Census, James A. Hopkins household, Warren County, Ohio 1452: Cindy and Jim were living in Harlan Township with their daughter, Lula. Cindy was listed as Lucinda Hopkins, wife, age 61, born in Kentucky, married at age 18.
• 1940 United States Federal Census, Lucinda Hopkins household, Harlan, Warren County, Ohio 1459: Cindy and her sister, Sary, lived in rural Warren County. She was listed as Lucinda Hopkins, age 70, born in Kentucky, widow. She completed the 7th grade.
• Obituary: Published in the Harlan Daily Enterprise on 17 May 1957 in Harlan, Harlan County, Kentucky. 1460 LUCINDA HOPKINS SERVICES SUNDAY:
Cindy married James Arton "Jim" HOPKINS, son of Stephen WOLFENBARGER and Eliza HOPKINS, on 25 December 1885 in Wallins Creek, Harlan County, Kentucky 1445.,1446 (James Arton "Jim" HOPKINS was born on 1 December 1861 in Mulberry Gap, Hancock County, Tennessee,1447,1448 died on 5 January 1933 in Harlan Township, Warren County, Ohio 1449 and was buried on 7 January 1933 in Morrow Cemetery, Salem Township, Warren County, Ohio 2,1450,1451.)
• Wedding: A marriage record for Jim & Cindy has not been located in Harlan County records but their daughter, Lula, had written down some information for one of her nieces and stated they were married Christmas 1885. Emma Taylor Hopkins noted they were married at Wallins Creek.
• Residence: 1885 1901, Wallins Creek, Harlan County, Kentucky. Jim & Cindy both lived in Harlan County, Kentucky at the time of their marriage and continued to live there from their marriage in 1885 until about 1901.
• Residence: 1901 to 1919, Brodhead, Rockcastle County, Kentucky. 169 Sometime between 1900 and 1902, Jim & Cindy moved to the Brodhead area of Rockcastle County. Jim's brother, Lum, and his family also moved to Rockcastle County around the same time. Until about 1919, Jim & Cindy lived in a house on what is now KY 1326 [Old Brodhead Road]. They then moved to a house on US 150 at Gum Sulphur [between Brodhead & Crab Orchard].
• Photo: Hopkins Family, May 1909, Brodhead, Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Front: Grant, Jim, Doc, Lula, Cindy; Back: Lige, Lum, Berry, Elmer. [John was away in the Army.]
• Residence: 1923 1946, Warren County, Ohio. In about 1923, Jim & Cindy sold their property in Rockcastle County and moved to Warren County, Ohio. They bought a farm near Blanchester and moved their belongings from Kentucky to Ohio on the train. They lived in two houses on that farm on Templin Road. The first was a two story brick house that had been a stage coach way house. [This photo of the house was taken in 2001 when some of their granddaughters visited the area.]
• Family Reunion: 1932, Warren County, Ohio. In the summer of 1932, all of Jim & Cindy's living children (except for oldest son, John) were together at their home near Blanchester, Ohio. In addition, 8 of their grandchildren were also there.
• Residence: 1946 1957, Wallins Creek, Harlan County, Kentucky. On 9 Dec 1946 and 7 Jan 1947, Cindy sold the property in Ohio. She & her sister, Sarah [who had lived with Cindy since the death of her husband in 1933], moved back to Wallins Creek to the property where they were raised into a "new" house their brother, Henry, had built on that property.
Click here for more photos of Jim & Cindy and their family.